Monday 9 August 2010

Luke has sold his bike and I have continued north from Dar Es Salaam. I'm glad Luke was able to sell his bike, in my mind it was a near impossible task. First you have to find someone who is interested in a 1986 Yamaha 350. Then you have to convince them to cough up the money even though they will have to pay exorbitant import fees and go through a whole lot of hassle merely to legally register the vehicle in TZ. But, it all proved possible, and Luke got some money back from the bike.

I just wanted to say a massive public thank you to Luke for coming on this trip with me. We've known each other for some time now and he definitely made a great travel companion. The trip has been epic in many ways. On a day to day basis we experienced massive high's and low's. All from witnessing elephants crossing the road to running out of fuel and having to unload all our stuff just to get to the jerry can's, all the way to meeting some of the most generous and friendly people who paid for our meals and drinks. We also took turns re-telling our travel stories to folk who talked to us at camp sites. We also both witnessed Cameroon loose against Denmark and end their 2010 world cup bid. Through it all, I'm sure - in fact, I know, that Luke has put up with me even when I wasn't in the best of moods. For that, I am very much thankful. Luke, see you in Nairobi!

The Kenyan border was surprisingly easy. Just a bit of waiting around and filling out all the documents that don't really mean anything. If there is one thing that brings down the countries of Africa, it's paper work. Everywhere you go they give you a reciept, an official document and they always have to write it out twice so they can have a record. Then you also have to sign a guest book or entry book that has over a few days accumulated thousands of signatures, which, I'm sure are all just shoved into some deep hidden away cabinet never to be seen again. I guess its all got to be done.

To all who have been following the plan is to go to Nairobi get a new conrod and timing chain and continue up north step by step with the purpose of reaching Cairo. We'll see how far is possible on a small 350cc.

Driving from Tanga, TZ to Lunga Lunga the border town with Kenya is all bad road and I was bombing it between 60-70 km/h. When I arrived at my campsite I could smell fuel and I realized that my jerry can had bust where it was lying down on the rack of my bike. I reckon the bumps and all just killed it. It's only leaking at a slow rate, but I will get it checked out and probably welded in Malindi .

Peace.

I was just about to load some photos for you lovely folk and then just realised the internet cafe I'm at can't handle my hard drive. Lame, I guess I'll have to keep you waiting till next time. Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment